Re: Updated Software Map test site

On 04 Oct 2001 00:14:54 -0500, Steve Fox wrote:
> On Mon, 2001-10-01 at 15:23, Paul Cooper wrote:
> > * supported file types field, e.g. .mp3 -> xmms, .doc -> abiword,
> > staroffice. Sort of like an online searchable mime type database.
>
> Haven't started the application mapping stuff yet, but I got a start on
> the file format stuff. Have a look at :
>
> http://gnome.foxhut.org:81/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=275
>
> and tell me what you think.

Ok :-)

I think it's excellent - but how about reversing the ordering?  I think
people will think, "I have a file fred.xls, what can I use to read it".

i.e. Instead of Microsoft Excel (.xls) I'd suggest .xls (Microsoft
Access).  You'll have some overlap, like *.doc mapping to M$ Word and
also Adobe Framemaker and also Corel(?) WordPerfect.

As for the categories I'd suggest having an "Office" category instead of
"Microsoft Office" and "Star Office" separately as there will eventually
be Abiword, gwp etc which don't deserve their own grouping, but more
importantly, people will think, "Ok, someone send me a document in .sdw
format, what can I use to read it?", rather than, "Oh, sdw, that's Star
Office".

Just my thoughts, but more importantly I'd say this sort of navigation
is an excellent idea.  And the interface looks really great!  I think
this stuff is really very useful.

(Note to self:  Must find time to cut code myself before all the good
jobs are alread done :-)
--
Michael Davies            michaeld senet com au
I am dumb - most of the time I'm playing smart.