Re: Nav bar background image specs

<quote who="digitect">

> I'd also be curious about initial thoughts on how to overlap the
> background, the text links, and the gnome toe.

Non-CSS style layout:

The masthead background image as a table background, so it would be very
wide (2000 pixels these days - not so bad as it's plain apart from the
initial imagey bit) to cover the entire width.

The top of the Gnome toe in a px-width defined cell (which would define the
width of the left bar, however I do recommend splitting the tow row and rest
of the page into separate tables, displays faster), probably with the first
part of the masthead bg image in the background, so we're not futzing around
with bad alpha. The text links in a right-aligned cell.  The table would be
a 100% wide.

Little (16x16ish) icons for the masthead  text links would be good, much
like Martin Lee's comp, up the top.

If the GTK+ and GIMP sites end up based on the same templates, it would be
cool to throw in a GTK+ box and a Wilber in that spot. Very funky. :)

> Were we still looking at the possibility of dynamically delivering these
> images? Each visit to the site could be fresh, even if each section had
> a simple recognizable theme (content or color) to govern what was
> delivered and assist the site maintainers.

Ick. Let's keep the same images for each section! Caches around the world
will love us for it. ;) Perhaps we can change themes when major releases are
announced, or there's something interesting happening in a given section.

The "Oh, this is new!" effect is always nice after following a link from LWN
or wherever.

> I also like how this expresses the flexibility built into the GNOME
> desktop. We could do clever things like have Grayscale week, Cartoon
> week, theme to any holiday or season, or re-theme around a new release.
                                              Nyeh. Beat me to it. ;)

- Jeff

-- jdub aphid net ----------------------------- http://lazarus.aphid.net/ --

               "Socks for the foot menu!" - Liam Quin (Ankh)