Re: [Fwd: Re: Time to code?]

Christian Schaller wrote:

Since I am probably the heaviest user of Gnotices/Zope I would just like
to say that from my point of view it works great. Yet, if getting
Squishdot to run stable is to much work I see why you want it
replaced. I only hope that when designing a new system that you make it
as easy to administer and use.

The current system works ok, but from a site user POV, I'd like to see better threading (especially flat threaded like /. has). I've never peeked at the code, but I've heard it's a real pain to update/administer. I don't have anything against Zope (assuming someone has Python skills), I'd just like to see something easy to use.

The request for simplicity goes to the site setup as a whole in fact.
The way pages are designed should be made very intuitive, I spent more
time figuring out how WML works than I actually did updating the
Mailinglist page.  I am currently updating the GNOME Office pages which

I agree. I was excited to help with the current page once, but when I started reading about WML I guess I just lost interest.

a) a job database - set up a system where companies wanting to hire
people with GNOME skills can post their job offerings.

b) POW page - Easy system for registering Project of the Week type
tasks. I think that would be a good way to give new coders an entrypoint
to start coding on GNOME.

Excellent ideas!

So has anyone started any code anywhere yet? I'd like to start working on something, but I fear my internationalization skills are lacking so I could probably use some help with that. I believe most people decided that using readline was the best way to go since that's what the translators are familiar with?

--

Steve Fox
http://k-lug.com