Handling Translations

I've been playing around with stuff for the new Gnome Website,

You can take a look at http://gnome.joshuaeichorn.com

I'm using Smarty Templates and the html templates that Joakim created.

I detect the browser and serve the correct template for the correct browser
currently, i would like to add support for serving the correct language too.

I already have language detection down but i need a decision on how
translations will be handled so i can implement it.

Currently I has 2 systems for registering the template variables that i've
been playing with, One loads the variables from an xml file, and the other
from a php array.  The php_array method would be setup to use gettext
directiy, the xml method would need an xml file for each supported language
of cource i could use something like xmli18n tools to create those xml
files.

Anyway and suggestions would be appreciated.

-joshua eichorn