RE: Localized Pages

Title: RE: Localized Pages

>> Hey monkey boy

>Hi.

        Neat, you quoted the monkey boy.. Weren't expecting that, were you?

        What does Microsoft have to do with the GNOME web site?  Let's compare apples to apples.. If I set my language preferences es-mx and es, does www.microsoft.com come up in Spanish?  No, not on my browser.. maybe it works for you.. maybe it's my company's firewall.. maybe it's just me.. but it doesn't make it any more relevant.

>I think it is an issue, and the people who need the translations the
>most are the ones that definately wouldn't even realize there was a
>"poll" or something like that to ask about preferred language (I don't
>know if that was suggested).

        His argument was that it did not appear to him to be a critical issue to hold the non-English speaker's hands and that they could find the translated versions on their own.. Is this right?  I dunno, someone gave their father as an example of someone who would be interested in learning about GNOME, and *would* need language hand-holding.. Right, or wrong it certainly didn't warrant your response.

        We can keep this sane with three questions:  What is the number of people who would like auto-internationalization?  What is the number of people who would rather decide for themselves if they need it?  Which number is biggest?

        Or, maybe we can just compromise by saying that if an international user was detected we offer a direct link, in his language to the international version best suited for his reading enjoyment.  If he wants to continue in English, he can, if he can't read English there's a friendly message in his tongue pointing him to the right place.