what's happening to drives and volumes ?

Hello,

As I understand last changes to gnomevfs 2.15.x we now have far less
drives and more volumes without drive. Here is a listing of what I get
on my computer (Ubuntu edgy: gnomevfs 2.15.90):

drive = "CD-RW Drive" user_visible=0
drive = "CD-ROM/DVD-ROM Drive" volume = "Ubuntu 6.06 i386"
user_visible=1
--------
volume = "/" user_visible=0
volume = "run" user_visible=0
volume = "run" user_visible=0
volume = "lock" user_visible=0
volume = "lock" user_visible=0
volume = "sys" user_visible=0
volume = "binfmt_misc" user_visible=0
volume = "proc" user_visible=0
volume = "stoque" user_visible=1
volume = "dapper" user_visible=1
volume = "volatile" user_visible=0
volume = "home" user_visible=0
volume = "shm" user_visible=0
volume = "pts" user_visible=0
volume = "dev" user_visible=0
volume = "Root Volume" user_visible=0
volume = "Root Volume" user_visible=0
volume = "Ubuntu 6.06 i386" user_visible=1 drive = "CD-ROM/DVD-ROM
Drive"
volume = "users.skynet.be" user_visible=1
volume = "zdra sur 10.0.0.7" user_visible=1

This looks good to me and better than before. Here is problems I see:

1) There is no floppy drive. The floppy drive should be always present
and user_visible=1.

2) There is a volume for "/" and 2 "Root Volume". Not that important
since they are all not visible to users, but why 3 volumes for the
root ?

3) There seems to be too much volumes. I have 2 "run" and "lock". Here
is what I have mounted:
zdra zdra-desktop:~$ mount
/dev/hda4 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.17-5-386/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/evms/hda1 on /media/dapper type ext3 (rw)
/dev/evms/hda3 on /home type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/evms/hdc1 on /media/stoque type ext3 (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
/dev/hdb on /media/cdrom0 type iso9660
(ro,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8)

4) This change what has to be done in nautilus-place-sidebar and other
programs displaying places. As I understand we now have to display:
 - visible not mounted drives (floppy drive comes here)
 - visible volumes (everything else comes here: network, mounted hdX
partitions, mounted CD-ROM, mounted USB key, ...)

One question: what's the rule to say if /dev/hda3 volume is
user_visible ? if mounted in /home for example is hidden, but mounted
in /media and /mnt is visible ?

There is an exception for computer:// which should display:
 - all not mounted drives without regarding if it's user_visible or not.
 - visible volumes

5) For computer:// there is still a problem remaining: what to do if a
unmounted drive get mounted ? Now we just update the drive's file but
that's a problem when the drive mounted comes with more than one volume.
What I suggest is when a drive got mounted, we remove his file and add a
new file for each drive's volume. The problem with that is for
meta-information that get lost, as someone told me, I don't understand
what it means, but that's really a problem, if so what can we do ?

for 1, 2 and 3 I didn't looked at the code yet but I will if someone
confirm that's bugs and if patch are welcome. For 4 I can make a patch
as the current code is mainly written by me for that part in nautilus
places sidebar. For 5 I can make a patch if someone tell me what's the
good way to solve the problem.

Thanks,
Xavier Claessens.