Re: possible optimization

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:18:13 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 15:34 +0100, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> > Do you think Nautilus can follow a similar path when you are using the
> > simple icon view (just filename as icon caption)? Here you need only
> > filenames...
>
> No, you always need the file type. (Both of the file/folder/symlink
> variety and the mime type variety.)

At least on GNU/Linux there is dirent.d_type backed by _DIRENT_HAVE_D_TYPE.
ext2/ext3 also support it by its optional (usually turned on) feature
'filetype'. (somehow I assume this is not new to you)

There would be needed some new 'GnomeVFSFileInfoOptions' bit for
gnome_vfs_get_file_info*() specifying we care only of: GnomeVFSFileType type
(or that we care only those filled in 'GnomeVFSFileInfoFields valid_fields'
on input).

This way also forbids using: GNOME_VFS_FILE_INFO_FORCE_SLOW_MIME_TYPE

Regards,
Lace