Re: Better (windows) partition interaction

Am Donnerstag, den 23.02.2006, 18:57 +0100 schrieb Alexander Larsson:
> On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 17:36 +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > Today I had to poke around with /etc/fstab on my brother's computer to
> > get his windows partitions mounted with the "user" attribute. This is
> > just a no-no for the mass market. The reality is that according to
> > google many users dual-boot and encounter this issue, even if some
> > distro installers take care of adding fstab entries along the line, this
> > won't work after repartitioning. In short: Doing partition detection
> > statically sucks for home computers.
> >
> > How feasible is it to add code to make extra partitions that are not in
> > the fstab user-mountable, probably through hal, and expose them in
> > "computer:///"?
>
> This is better asked on the hal list.

I've deliberately asked here because GnomeVFS is the gateway between the
desktop environment/user side of the problem and HAL, and I wanted to
bring the issue to the focus of both desktop and HAL developers without
cross-posting ddl/hal lists. I also wasn't sure whether there are
permission problems involved that also require modifications to the VFS
layer or UI semantics.

Anyway, David Zeuthen will probably read this thread so the main
objective will be reached anyway :D.

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>