I propose that GnomeVFS should support a variety of character set encoding for access to remote filesystem.

Hi GnomeVFS Team,

Gnome uses basically UTF8 as a character set encoding because of it's
future-oriented characteristic, but many people in countries that use
2-byte language still use other character set encodings. Although Gnome
has higher i18n and l10n qualities, it is not enough to support other
character set encoding except UTF8. In especial, this problem is that
nautilus show broken filename when I try to access some remote
filesystems, such as ftp and sftp, that use other encoding via nautilus.
For example, I'm korean and use UTF8 as default encoding. However, most
servers that provide ftp or sftp service use EUC-KR as encoding. For
this reason, I have many experiences that nautilus showed a series of
strange strings as filenames. This problem has been chronic since Gnome
used UTF8 as default character set encoding. Consequently, I strongly
propose that GnomeVFS team make an issue of this problem. I expect that
if you do that, many gnome hacker in 2-byte language countries will
suggest a variety of good ideas.

Cheers,
Hyunsik Choi