Re: MIME type detection

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 15:45 +0200, Johan Ersvik wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 12:40 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if its really right to have the same mimetype for something
> > that is sometimes a textfile, and sometimes not though. Maybe the two
> > realaudio formats should have different types?
>
> Maybe that would be preferable, I don't know really. In this case I
> suppose it's up to Real Networks to decide. Granted, they obviously
> can't expect shared-mime-info/gnome-vfs to treat everything *.rpm as a
> realmedia file, just based on the file extension (just acknowledging
> that gnome-vfs can't be expected to support outrageously broad MIME type
> definitions from private vendors). However, maybe the text/plain special
> casing could be done differently.
>
> The solution I see is to go by at the file extension even if the
> contents do look like text, and even though that file extension doesn't
> belong to a text/plain-subtype. This would make it impractical to name
> your text files with certain extensions, but in my opinion that's a fair
> trade-off.

I'm sure this will cause some other problem (which was probably what
caused us to make it work like it currently does in the first place). I
stick to my point, we should not be using the same mimetype to describe
two completely different forms of files (one text and one binary) just
because they are both used by realplayer.

He's an impetuous voodoo shaman trapped in a world he never made. She's an
artistic motormouth former first lady in the wrong place at the wrong time.
They fight crime!