Re: what's happening to drives and volumes ?

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 19:24 +0200, Xavier Claessens wrote:

> This looks good to me and better than before. Here is problems I see:
>
> 1) There is no floppy drive. The floppy drive should be always present
> and user_visible=1.

Yes. We should look into why this happens.

> 2) There is a volume for "/" and 2 "Root Volume". Not that important
> since they are all not visible to users, but why 3 volumes for the
> root ?

Getting volumes right is important, even if they are not visible,
because volumes are used by e.g. nautilus to track mounted filesystems,
for finding trash folders and whatnot. We should fix this.

> 3) There seems to be too much volumes. I have 2 "run" and "lock". Here
> is what I have mounted:

Also a bug.

> 4) This change what has to be done in nautilus-place-sidebar and other
> programs displaying places. As I understand we now have to display:
>  - visible not mounted drives (floppy drive comes here)
>  - visible volumes (everything else comes here: network, mounted hdX
> partitions, mounted CD-ROM, mounted USB key, ...)

Isn't that what we do now?

> One question: what's the rule to say if /dev/hda3 volume is
> user_visible ? if mounted in /home for example is hidden, but mounted
> in /media and /mnt is visible ?

This has been discussed, but not finalized in detail. Blacklisting or
whitelisting seems to be the main approaches.

> 5) For computer:// there is still a problem remaining: what to do if a
> unmounted drive get mounted ? Now we just update the drive's file but
> that's a problem when the drive mounted comes with more than one volume.
> What I suggest is when a drive got mounted, we remove his file and add a
> new file for each drive's volume. The problem with that is for
> meta-information that get lost, as someone told me, I don't understand
> what it means, but that's really a problem, if so what can we do ?

Nautilus tracks metadata per filename. That means e.g. notes, custom
icons, emblems, icon position, etc are lost if the file changes name. I
think the best approach would be to give the first volume the same name,
and add further volumes as new files.

He's a gun-slinging crooked matador on a mission from God. She's an artistic
junkie politician with an evil twin sister. They fight crime!