Re: cdda:// URIs and the default handler

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 19:36 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 09:38 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure where we should ship the script (or perhaps a c-based
> > version of it) though. In gnome-vfs? If its in gnome-volume-manager then
> > people with g-v-m not installed will get the bizarre cdda:// error
> > message, which is pretty bad. If we want the script to have e.g. warning
> > dialogs then it needs to link to gtk+ though, which isn't very nice for
> > gnome-vfs. Maybe libgnomeui?
>
> I'd rather not scatter this particular piece any more - having two
> barely-matching pieces in gnome-vfs and g-v-m is bad enough.
>
> Do we care about people who run gnome-vfs but don't run g-v-m?

Is g-v-m part of the desktop these days? Do we care?

> I think it's fine to put the script in the g-v-m tarball itself, and
> probably have it not strip the "cdda://" prefix form the URI it gets
> passed.  If totem can already handle those URIs, other apps can
> certainly be made to handle them.
>
> [g-v-m's "%d" substitution passes "cdda://dev/hdc" untouched; I wonder
> if it makes sense to add another percent-thingy that one can use to pass
> the raw "/dev/hdc" to the defined handler...]

%d should probably pass /dev/hdc, and %u cdda://dev/hdc or something.
We're not gonna be able to force all cd players in existance to take
cdda uri arguments, so we might as well support both.

> Note that gnome-vfs already comes with hard-coded defaults for several
> URI methods, and those handlers are quite gnomey - http/epiphany,
> ghelp/gnome-help, info/gnome-help, etc.  We could hard-code totem as the
> default handler for cdda in the schemas.  Maybe it would then be OK to
> have g-v-m's installation procedure overwrite that default to use the
> helper script.

This sounds nice. However, is it really possible to override a default
like that?

He's a hate-fuelled Amish assassin on the hunt for the last specimen of a
great and near-mythical creature. She's a vivacious wisecracking cab driver
with her own daytime radio talk show. They fight crime!