Re: Prompting for passwords when mounting drives from /etc/fstab

Hi!

Sorry for breaking the thread, I'm not on the list. (Please keep me in
CC).

> pumount seems to have certain criteria for drives it will unmount.

They are basically the same criteria as for pmount, i. e. the drive must be
mounted into /media and must be removable.

> It won't unmount /etc/fstab drives that are marked as user
> mountable.

That needs some explanation. pmount and pumount transparently fall
back to mount if a device occurs in fstab. I. e. calling "pumount
/dev/foo" when /dev/foo is in fstab will do exactly the same as
"umount /dev/foo" would do.

> umount unmounts these fine. Is there a way to tell if a drive has been
> mounted with pmount?

Not a 100% correct one. IF a mount point contains a file
".created_by_pmount", THEN it was definitively mounted with pmount.
However, this is not an equivalence, since the file is not created if
the mount point already existed. Likewise, an admin might have mounted
a device which is not in fstab with "sudo mount ...".

Would it be possible for you to just try umount, and when this fails,
try pumount? Or the other way round?

Is there something I could change in pmount to make it more suitable
for gnome-vfs?

Thanks!

Martin

P.S. Since you are discussing mounting encrypted devices - pmount
supports this if a LUKS aware cryptsetup is installed. In Ubuntu, you
can just stick in an encrypted USB stick, get asked for a password,
and get it automagically mounted.

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?