Re: gnome-vfs passes remote URIs not confirming to RFC#1738

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 18:53 +0530, dinoop thomas wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Problem
> -----------
> The remote location URIs (ftp, smb, sftp) passed by gnome-vfs to
> applications such as staroffice,  mozilla , openoffice etc
> does not confirm to the url standard defined in RFC#1738.
>
> For example, try to open html file, say 'test.html' from a remote ftp
> location from nautilus.
> We get an error dialog saying ,  '550 Failed to change directory'.
>
> Root cause
> --------------
> According to RFC#1738, the URI passed should be of the following syntax.
> be of the
> form <cwd1>/<cwd2>/........../<cwdn>
>
> Each of the <cwd> elements are supplied as argument to a CWD . Within a
> cwd component,
> reserved characters such as '/', ';' should be encoded.
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt
>
> The  URL passed by vfs to mozilla is
> 'ftp://user@<host>/home/test/test.html'
> This results in the application trying to do a CWD to home after logging
> into /home/test which eventually fails.
>
> According to RFC#1738 , this should be
> 'ftp://user@<server>/%2Fhome/test/test.html',
> where '/' is encoded as '%2F'. This would result in a change in
> directory to /home/test , which works fine.
>
> But at the same time applications like gedit are able to process URIs
> passed by vfs of the form
> ftp://user@<server>/home/test/test.txt though this doesn't comply to
> RFC#1738.
>
> Can the gnome-vfs-uri code be changed so that it passes RFC#1738
> compliant URIs to applications?
> Kindly give your comments.

I think it will be quite hard to support URIs like the RFC says in
gnome-vfs, because it really changes the semantics of GnomeVFSURIs which
will break applications using gnome-vfs. I haven't done a deep analysis
of this though.

He's an all-American gay cyborg plagued by the memory of his family's brutal
murder. She's a beautiful thirtysomething vampire with the power to see death.
They fight crime!