Gnome_vfs_open_*() fatals

Hi,

I hope I'm asking for help in the right place, if not please accept my
appologies.

I've encountered a reproduceable fatal in gnome-vfs and I'm wondering if
someone could give me some insight on where to go next.

This happens with both gnome 2.10 and 2.12 on a Redhat RHEL 3.0
(2.4.21-4.Elhugemem kernel), compiling with gcc-3.4.2.

Several apps (panel, theme manager,etc) always crash at startup, and the
stack trace ends in:
...->gnome_vfs_open_uri_cancellable()->do_open()->posix_fadvise()->__JCR

The parameters passed to the gnome_vfs_open function appear valid.

I'm wondering if this might be related to the kernel/posix version I'm
running?
Any suggestions on where should I look next to debug this further?

Thanks!!

hugo