Re: How to create association in application now?

On Fr, 2005-11-25 at 11:15 -0700, paul.wu wrote:
> Many application need add associations to a certain file after it is
> installed. Before Gnome2.8, I can approach it by creating 2 files,
> *.keys and *.mime, in ~/.local/share/mime-info/.

You are not meant to do this, it's entirely up to the application
developers. When applications are broken, file bug reports. I was for
instance successfull with getting them into Audacity, and there is other
popular software around that still doesn't install them. The discussions
on the audacity-devel mailing list are still available in online
archives [1].

> Now it is an unhappy trip to create an association in GNOME

I disagree here :).

> I create an association to this mime-type.It seems need to modify several
> files,~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list,~/.local/share/applications/[application_name].desktop,
> ~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache.

You modify cache files? This is a very bad idea. I'm really curious what
application is the culprit, so that we can fix it.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=12412692

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>