need advice about accessing usb devices

Hello,
I'm at the beginning of writing a program which reads
and writes from usb flash drives. So far I'm able to
read some basic information about a device using libusb,
but it seems that I can't do much more, as the read/write
functions are very low-level. Since nautilus relies on
GnomeVFS and it deals with usb drive i/o of course, I
suppose that using GnomeVFS it's possible to have access to
it at a file-level - is that correct? I still don't know
much about this so any advice will be very helpful to me.
Thanks,
Marko