Re: Method for accessing SQL databases

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 17:00 +0100, Magnus Bergman wrote:
> I'm about to write a Gnome-VFS module for accessing SQL databases
> (primary MySQL and Oracle).

if you use libgda (http://www.gnome-db.org) you'll get access to those
and more databases for free.

>  And I was wondering if there is some kind of
> standard related to mapping a URL to an SQL query. And if I'm forced to
> hack something myself I would appreciate opinions from others.

I've many times thought about doing a database: method for VFS, but I
ended up not doing because it really makes no sense, to have a database
being accessed like a file system. The only thing I could come up to was
to have just database: be a special nautilus folder that would show all
database connections as folders, and when you visit them, show the
tables in those databases.

But I guess it's better to have a nice program for accessing those
databases than doing it via the file system.

Another idea would be to use an underlying database and offer it as a
file system, showing it like a file system in nautilus, not like
databases. Something like MS's WinFS. That would make sense, IMO, for
which you don't need that complicated URI scheme, you just need to be
able to access the files as any other file system, like
database://photo.jpg.

What were your ideas?
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>