Re: continued: Common-VFS proposal

Zack Rusin wrote:

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 21:25, nf2 wrote:
Hi!

I have written a little docbook article:

http://www.scheinwelt.at/~norbertf/common-vfs/concept/

looking forward to your feedback...

It's not that I don't appreciate a good joke from time to time, but you either need to seriously reconsider the daily dosage of whatever you're taking or wait with those emails until April 1st.
Sorry for beeing impatient. ;-)

On a more serious, I'm very glad someone is thinking about implementing a common vfs layer but I hate to be the one to tell you that right now it's not going to be you. Don't take it personally, but you don't seem to have a clue about what you're talking about. And I'm sorry but your dockbook document is just embarrassing. It probably stems from your lack of understanding of both vfs subsystems or just ignorance of how integration between desktops works.
Then please help me to improve my document. I'm just a curiuos KDE/Gnome "user". I have written this document mainly to express my concern that freedesktop developers underestimate the importance of common infrastructure. (Commercial desktops seem to provide lot's of that stuff which gives them a big advantage regarding consistency and usability)

"Corba for IPC (DBUS can't be used here, because this requires heavy-weight IPC)" is something I'm considering putting in my list of signatures.
Does that mean that CORBA in Gnome-VFS or the "homegrown" KIO slave protocol could be easily replaced with DBUS?

But again, I very much appreciate your effort but as of now you just don't have enough knowledge to implement it. You are of course more than welcome to try and experiment but as it stands you could never realistically expect that we would even consider using it.
Don't worry. I'm a bit fed up with this free desktop stuff anyway.

The most realistic thing you can hope for is that people who either were or are actually involved in creating VFS layers and desktop environments get together on one of the conferences and nail this out. It's not going to happen anytime soon though.

Those people seem to be very secretive what concerns possible solutions to the problem.

Thanks for your encouraging response!

Norbert