Re: Using vfs api to create start menu entries

Am Mittwoch, den 24.08.2005, 21:36 -0700 schrieb chu ningzhi:
> Hi guys,
> I'm developing an application's install packages.
> It needs to create a desktop shortcut and start menu
> shortcut during the installation.

Please don't create desktop shortcuts. This is not windows and users
don't like cluttered desktops.

For the startmenu thingie, there's no VFS involved:
Just install a desktop file to ${datadir}/applications. The syntax is
quiet straightforward, you can grep other desktop files in the directory
to get the gist or read the desktop entry spec [1].
The rest should work automagically, since these directories are
typically monitored for file changes.

If you want to associate your application with a MIME types, you'll also
have to call update-mime-database and update-desktop-database. This is
usually done by some distro-specific scripts you can invoke upon
installation.

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fdesktop_2dentry_2dspec

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>