make_directory & application menu

Hi Everybody,

I want to create a menu item from an application. (in Redhat 9 or Fedora
Core 2).
The following call works fine on Redhat 9 (after some tweaking of
/etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules and running as root, but that's fine... FC2
seems to be broken..):

gnome_vfs_make_directory("applications-all-users://Amsterdam");

The applications.menu file is nicely updated with:
<Folder>
    <Name>Amsterdam</Name>
</Folder>

All well.

However, now I also want to add a <Desktop>Amsterdam.desktop</Desktop>
entry and I cannot figure out how to do that.... please please don't let
me have to edit the applications.menu with a XML library... (unless you
can send me the complete code ;-)

Thanks!

Hans.