Re: Announcing gnomevfs-mount 0.0.1 (very first version).

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 09:10 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 01:26 +0200, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:

> > > Gnome in general has to work on many unix versions. It can't depend on a
> > > specific kernel.
> >
> > But we could use it in Linux so all applications will be able to access
> > to remote locations and left the current code for unsupported platforms
> > (and perhaps their developers could implement such support under their
> > OS). As far as I know fuse is a library so you are not depending on the
> > kernel directly.
>
> Going fully to a FUSE-like approach would mean a huge redesign of how
> the desktop handles things like this, and that would only work on linux.
> Doing both is not gonna work very well.

But you are assuming that it will be only available under Linux and
that's also fixable.

> > Users don't understand why they are not able to open files from remote
> > locations on non GNOME applications. In fact, I don't know about any
> > GNOME application that it's able to edit a remote file directly.
>
> Well. We need to fix them then.

Sure, but I see it harder than a fuse-like approach, I don't think Gimp
will be ever "fixed" that way, but If you use a fuse-like approach it
will not need such fix.

> > > Also, i personally think mounting things like this can be problematic.
> > > There will be many posix details that the mounted filesystem won't
> > > comply with, that an application using the normal filesystem might
> > > depend on.
> >
> > You are right, it's a problem, but IMHO those are called bugs, and bugs
> > are fixable and those kind of bugs are easily fixable than, for
> > instance, add gnome-vfs support in emacs or any piece of software that
> > is able to open files.
>
> The reason they don't follow posix semantics is that its not possible to
> do so on non-posix backends.

Could you give me concrete examples?

I know that Apple is doing it since long ago with MacOSX and they mount
more or less the same things gnome-vfs does (webdav, ftp, nfs, loop
devices, smb and perhaps more types I don't remember at this moment) and
they don't seem to have any problem.

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín