Re: Why just webdav and ftp in the dns-sd-method?

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 12:46:36AM -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> Can't we look up the mime type for the URI we get from the discovery?

Don't think that's really possible.

> Then we can at least handle the _http service discovery in a somewhat
> sane way. I'm not sure I'd want to walk into a Novell office and have
> 4000 web pages show up in my network: window, though. Seems a bit much
> to me.

I don't know how far the discovery gets. But i would suspect that it stays in
the same network segment. So i guess 4000 is a little overestimated (assuming
novell has a sane network structure). Also the same argument goes for webdav's
ofcourse

> I think I've seen the default index.html for the SUSE apache
> install, enough already. :) We certainly shouldn't limit it to _webdav
> and _ftp though. What about samba? We could probably check for _sftp
> separately from _ssh, too, no?

_sftp isn't a registered service type, just ssh
(http://www.dns-sd.org/ServiceTypes.html)

> And I'm sure we'd want to be able to do
> discovery of ncpfs shares. I'm sure I could find a lot more to list off
> too, but I'm too tired right now to care too much.

Imho Alexander's argument about http not usually being a file sharing mechanism
was pretty sane. Hopefully epiphany gets dns-sd support pretty fast :)

sftp is a corner case though imho, it's as much a file transfer protocol as ftp
is..

  Sjoerd
--
"A fractal is by definition a set for which the Hausdorff Besicovitch
dimension strictly exceeds the topological dimension."