Re: Gnome VFS - plans for Gnome 2.8

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 04:19, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> For gnome-vfs in Gnome 2.8 we will focus on finishing up the volume
> changes that were started in Gnome 2.6, and making gnome-vfs really
> work well for applications reading remote files. This is much more
> important now with the new file selector and its gnome-vfs
> support. Hopefully it'll lead to more Gnome applications using
> gnome-vfs to load files.

One important part of making it really to use for applications is having
good documentation ;)

> Add a prompting callback API, which is needed for sftp "host key
> invalid" messaging.

Speaking of authentication and prompting...

Right now we have the push/pop mechanism for auth callbacks in
libgnomeui, but this sounds hackish to me.  Would it make sense to have
some sort of context-based API so that call that could lead to user
prompts would take in a context structure?  The context would carry
information about the toplevel window with it, for example, so that the
callbacks could then do gtk_window_set_transient_for().

  Federico