Re: Gnome VFS - plans for Gnome 2.8

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 05:14, Narayana Pattipati wrote:
> Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > For gnome-vfs in Gnome 2.8 we will focus on finishing up the volume
> > changes that were started in Gnome 2.6, and making gnome-vfs really
> > work well for applications reading remote files. This is much more
> > important now with the new file selector and its gnome-vfs
> > support. Hopefully it'll lead to more Gnome applications using
> > gnome-vfs to load files.
>
> Is there a plan for providing nfs:// support to gnome-vfs in 2.8. Or is
> it targetted for a later relase ? It is also one of the methods desired
> for reading remote files.

I personally think the nfs backend is sort of cracky, as NFS is not
normally used for the style of browsing/accessing gnome-vfs uses (for
good reasons, including poor security), and is instead set up by admins
to mount at well-defined places in the filesystem.

However, at some point we should probably at least import the latest nfs
method from ximian, even if we don't enable it by default.

He's a globe-trotting zombie cowboy trapped in a world he never made. She's a
radical blonde single mother from out of town. They fight crime!