Re: Gnome VFS - plans for Gnome 2.8

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 16:02, Dan Winship wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 07:08, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > On Enj , 2004-03-25 at 11:19 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > finish and switch over to the neon-based HTTP/WebDav backend.
> > > Implement seek for http. There is a patch in bugzilla, but that is for
> > > the current backend.
> >
> > What about a libsoup-based backend instead?
>
> I'll second that.
>
> > Since libsoup
> > is going to be used by so many things anyway, it only makes sense to use
> > it also.
>
> And also just because libsoup is a GNOME library, so it integrates more
> nicely with other GNOME stuff than neon would. (It uses GObjects, it
> uses the glib main loop when you're using async mode, etc.)

Does is support webdav? ssl? is it threadsafe? Is it well tested on all
sorts of web/webdav servers?

The glib main loop integration and async mode is totally useless for
gnome-vfs integration, and is more likely to be in the way when working
with the gnome-vfs threaded asynchronous backend. Thats why I like the
Neon library for a gnome-vfs backend, it fits well API-wise.

He's a superhumanly strong playboy Green Beret trapped in a world he never
made. She's a cosmopolitan nymphomaniac journalist looking for love in all the
wrong places. They fight crime!