Re: Gnome VFS - plans for Gnome 2.8

On Mar 25, 2004, at 3:37 AM, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 11:19 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:

add mDNS (rendezvous) detected local webdav servers to
network:. This means we need mDNS support in gnome-vfs.

as we talked on IRC, it would also be pretty good to support SLP, which
seems to fit better in larger networks. We wanted to do, for
libgnetwork, a single API entry point for all service discovery
mechanisms (mDNS, SLP, etc). There is a mail (with no answers) proposing
how to do that:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-network-list/2004-February/ msg00005.html

probably that could be a goosd starting point. Having all that in a
public API would help in making use of it in all GNOME applications, so
I guess it's worth the effort.

cheers

Have you looked at UPnP (http://www.upnp.org/)? It looks fairly heavyweight, but it's targeted at some of the same sorts of things as zeroconf/Rendezvous. I imagine the initial interest in mDNS and webdav is for network file sharing. A short and sweet example of how UPnP might be used for something similar is MediaServer (http://www.upnp.org/standardizeddcps/mediaserver.asp). I'm sure there are plenty of others.

If you're thinking about ways to support/abstract different service discovery mechanisms, you may want to spare it some thought if you have time. There's a library for dealing with it on Linux at http://upnp.sourceforge.net/ , and it's in FreeBSD ports as well. The docs look fairly impressive, but I've no idea how mature it is (SF says it is on the project page, though, FWIW ;)

- George