Re: Discovering if a file is read-only

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 12:01 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 23:54, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > I am examining GnomeVfsFileInfo::permissions on a GnomeVfsFileInfo that
> > I got from gnome_vfs_get_file_info_from_handle() after opening the
> > GnomeVfsUriHandle with gnome_vfs_open(), with the GNOME_VFS_OPEN_READ
> > option.
> >
> > When I use it on a local file that is not writable by the group, user,
> > or others, it does not seem to set the GNOME_VFS_PERM_ACCESS_WRITABLE
> > flag.
> >
> > So, should I be able to use GNOME_VFS_PERM_ACCESS_WRITABLE to check
> > whether the file is writable by the current user? Or do I need to use
> > GNOME_VFS_PERM_USER_WRITE, GNOME_VFS_PERM_GROUP_WRITE,
> > GNOME_VFS_PERM_OTHERS_WRITE and check whether the user is in the correct
> > group?
>
> Yes, that is the general idea. However you need to pass
> GNOME_VFS_FILE_INFO_GET_ACCESS_RIGHTS to get_file_info in the options
> parameter.

Oh, yes. We use _DEFAULT as the default value in gnome-vfsmm, but it
does not seem to do anything useful.

>  Also, looking at the code this only seems to be implemented
> for get_file_info, not get_file_info_from_handle().

That version makes my code look nicer anyway, and it does work. Thanks.
I was also getting my boolean check for the flag completely wrong.

>  I guess we need to
> implement that.

I can confirm that. It does not seem to work when using the
_from_handle: It never sets the GNOME_VFS_PERM_ACCESS_WRITABLE.

But I don't see where the problem is. I am comparing
gnome_vfs_get_file_info_uri_cancellable() and
gnome_vfs_get_file_info_from_handle_cancellable(), which seem to do much
the same thing.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com