Re: tiff multi-document files

On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 11:34, Jens Finke wrote:
> > Does the idea sound OK in principle for eog? I'm not sure how much eog
> > wants to know about file-format-specific stuff like this, so I'm asking
> > up-front. I don't think it makes sense to handle these sorts of files
> > in gdk - this doesn't really map well to the animation interface, and
> > there wouldn't be enough developers using it to justify changing APIs.
> > So if this is done, eog has to learn about this tiff idiosyncrasy.
> >
> > Likewise, does this sound OK for gnome-vfs? I think there's less
> > controversy here, but this is a fairly obscure use case. I can't
> > imagine too many apps actually caring to use this, so I hope it's not
> > considered bloat and a bad dependency.
>
> Actually, I think it should be possible to write a gnome-vfs module, which
> adds a new URI scheme and handles such tiff files properly. If it behaves
> like a directory from the gnome-vfs client point of view, eog will
> automatically use the collection view for this then.

This is called "chained uris", and gnome-vfs has some code for it.
However, at the moment it just doesn't work. My hope is that eventually
we'll get it fixed though.

He's a jaded vegetarian card sharp with a robot buddy named Sparky. She's a
mistrustful paranoid cab driver with her own daytime radio talk show. They
fight crime!