Browsing Windows shares fails

Hi!

I'm using Gnome 2.8.1 on Ubuntu 4.10 (Warty).

I got a Windows machine that I want to access files on from my laptop that runs Ubuntu.

The Windows machine (HAL9000) has a directory "Network", shared as "Network", accessible by user "Me".

When I use the Gnome network browser to find the directory, I can access it by entering the username/password of user "Me". Now I can read everything until I close the share window. After that I can't access it anymore - I get an error message telling me that I don't have the permissions necessary to view the files there. The only way to get back in is to log out of gnome, then back in.

Additionally, although the share has full access for the mentioned user, I can't write to it, not even on the first access.

Playing around with samba settings, network settings, different users on the Windows machine, entering the username differently (like "HAL9000\Me") didn't help. The only way to get write access or permanent read access to a Windows share for me seems to make the share accessible to everyone (Guest and stuff). Even manual connection (smb://Me hal9000/Network) and "Connect To Server" doesn't work.

I've read in many mailing lists, including this one, that this is a gnome-vfs bug and has not been fixed yet. I just want to know if that's correct? What workarounds are there to access Windows shares without using the command line? I'd really like to use my Windows files using just Gnome and without opening up my files to anyone else (with the guest account).

If you have any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, workarounds, tell me please. Also if you got other ideas I could try out to get more access.

Thank You,
	Sebastian.
--
Reclaim Your Inbox!