Re: [patch] fstab-sync mount point names

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 16:31, Christian Rose wrote:

> 4) If distros pull the "we'll include the string patch anyway" trump
> card, we're bad off anyway. String freeze is there to give translators
> suitable time to complete the translations. If we reject patches on the
> grounds of string freeze, patches that downstream distros are likely to
> include anyway, the end result will still be incomplete translations
> presented to the end user, and we haven't achieved anything in practice
> by sticking to the freeze.
> Even though distros are free to include what patches they want, I think
> it's sad that the upstream procedure and freezes and their purpose can
> be bypassed and twisted that way. One could of course stick firm to the
> freeze, and blame the untranslated content on a distro that includes
> such a patch anyway on that particular distro, but that won't help end
> users on that distro who want and need those translations much.

Yeah, i feel a bit bad about it. Its a bit to close to blackmail for me
to feel totally good about it. However, for fedora we've decided to go
with HAL, and we then have to do the best we can to make that work.
Sometimes being a bit ahead like that means diverging a bit from
upstream. We do try to minimize it, but it can't always be avoided.

> So, given points 2, 3, and 4 you have my approval for the string-adding
> parts of this patch, given these conditions:
> A) The patch is applied to CVS as soon as possible, given other
> permissions of course.
> B) gnome-i18n gnome org will be notified as soon as the patch has been
> applied to CVS, and informed that gnome-vfs translations need updating.
>
> Given the above, you have the second string-freeze approval, and two
> approvals out of one necessary.

I still need release-team approval for the patch. I haven't seen any
yet.

He's an ungodly one-eyed cyborg looking for 'the Big One.' She's a foxy winged
mechanic with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!