Re: [patch] one-to-many HAL integration

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 09:08:36AM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> Also, the gnome-vfs-volume-ops.c parts means we have to link gnome-vfs
> to libhal. I had hoped we could keep that dependency to the vfs daemon,
> to decrease the number of libraries every app links to. (especially the
> number of unstable libs.)

I agree that reducing dependicies is a godo thing, but wouldn't
that require some code movement to do that?  If so, I have something
related.

I'm trying to write my iriver driver which is not based on the
usb mass storage driver but I have to communicate with the iriver
mp3 player using USB commands.  But I want to be able to have the
gnome-vfs daemon detect that the iriver is plugged in through HAL.

Currently davidz's patch does not address this corner case as it
only receives from the HAL dbus channel events where the capability
of the device is something the kernel sees as a 'disk'.  But the
capability would have to go into gnome-vfs proper but thats not
really optimal as you would have to support a lot of usb devices that
uses libusb instead of usb mass storage.

So what do we do in this case?  I believe it goes into
gnome-vfs-volume-ops.c but we can't support every device in that
section of code IMHO.

sri