Re: adding new info to GnomeVFSFileInfo

On 19 Sep 2002, Shahms E. King wrote:

> > > I have no strong opinion on that. What I'm interested in is getting read
> > > and write info for remote files. For the executable bit, I agree that it
> > > doesn't make much sense. And Nautilus shouldn't consider remote files as
> > > executable since if the user double click on them, nothing will happen
> > > (or at least the user won't get the expected result). So I'll drop the
> > > executable bit for remote locations for now when I update my patch
> >
> > I think thats a good idea. If and when we provide an execution
> > abstraction and remote methods start providing implementations of that
> > they can start setting the bit :)
> >
> > Ian
>
> So does this mean that is_local() returns "correct" information wrt
> mounted filesystems vs. "true" remote filesystems? (this has
> historically not been the case, last I remember looking, the file method
> jumped through a large number of hoops to determine if a file really was
> local or not, when it probably shouldn't have)
> or am I still hosed if my home directory is NFS mounted?

Traditionally that hasn't been the case, yes. Then someone randomly
changed it, so now it's even more useless, and we're actively not trying
to use it.

He's a gun-slinging coffee-fuelled card sharp with acid for blood. She's a
provocative Buddhist traffic cop prone to fits of savage, blood-crazed rage.
They fight crime!