automatic method chaining the "right" way

I'm assuming that URI chaining should be handled automagically by
gnome-vfs for supported MIME types (rather than, say, Nautilus or
another end-user app), and trying to get some opinions on the "right"
way to do this.  It seems this information is probably best specified in
the MIME information/metadata for the file so that it can be queried by
an application in someway, but also that an "open_directory" call on a
file that has chained methods will simply "do the right thing" at the
GVFS level.
I'm tired of reading people complaints about this not working in
Nautilus, and I'd like to do something about it, but I'm not sure where
to start (and the MIME/metadata API is currently in flux, but I don't
know the intended direction or scope of the changes, so I'm at a loss
for how to begin/proceed).

Thanks,
--Shahms