Questions about caching on remote FS types.

I was curious, if there could be caching employed in a simple manner for
the extended fs types.

(ssh://, smb://, ftp://)

I noticed when using nautilus to browse the kernel.org FTP it was
PAINFULLY slow. mainly because every dir I went to had to get re-loaded
every time I went there.

It goes the same for SSH and SMB vfs types too. I was thinking that the
cache could be just a simple, full time cache, so no polling involved to
automatically update it, but, when the user hit's refresh, or types a
path manually, then the cache could be re-scanned against the source,
for changes, then updated. This would provided a quick way of browsing,
while still utilizing the cache efficiently, and not being too over
bearing.

Thoughts?
--The GrandMaster