Bug 45444 and "the user knows best"

This bug just bit me, and the fact that it is now assigned to "unknown"
is the reason I'm posting here rather than just commenting in-bug.

(at least, I think it's this bug, if not, I need to create a new one)

There are very good reasons to change the mime-type of a file.  For
example, .php, .php3 and .php4 files are specified to be
"application/x-php" however, I, as a user, know better and changed it to
"text/x-php" so that all of my already-availible viewers and
text-editors would be listed in Nautilus . . . only they weren't.  And
even that's not always the case, after making this change MOST files
still show up as application/x-php (as is specified in the global
settings) and a very few of them are text/x-php and what, exactly, is
the difference between the files that causes this, I cannot tell.
However, it is annoying (especially considering that, at the moment,
"Custom Applications" show up as "Custom <mime-type>" in the Nautilus
menu). Now, were there some way of having user-defined applications show
up in a more reasonable manner (not to mention being able to define more
than one user-app per mime-type) this wouldn't be nearly as big an
issue, but even so, the system really should trust that I know best when
I tell it that no, PHP is not a binary format, it is indeed text and all
of these viewers will display it just fine.

--Shahms