Re: gnome-vfs usage of GConf vs threads

On 9 Dec 2002, Michael Meeks wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 16:46, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 11:18:02AM -0500, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > I think the only solution is have the main gnome-vfs library do config
> > > reading in the initialization code, and then set up notifier checks in the
> > > mainloop that propagate changes to variables under a lock. This means
> > > config changes would only be visible if the app uses the glib main loop,
> > > but I think that is ok.
> >
> > Right, that's the kind of thing I was thinking.
>
> 	And of course - this need only be a temporary solution, since I'm
> planning to merge the ORBIT2_MT branch to HEAD for gnome-2-4 anyway
> which (I assume) is where most development will happen for whatever we
> do to gnome-vfs next.

gconf would need to be fixed too.

> 	The wonderful thing about threads is that finally - we can perhaps
> start to convince people that adding this tool is a _really_ bad idea
> :-) [ cf. some code I was reading today with a global 'i' variable - if
> you can't locally scope your variables what chance have you of
> understanding the complexities of locking ].

Of course, if they can't get locking right there are slim chances they can
get reentrancy right. :)

Seriously, corba reentrancy needs to be fixed too before it can be used
from gnome-vfs. We can't start responding to nautilus metadata requests on
the gnome-vfs worker threads.

He's an unconventional coffee-fuelled romance novelist haunted by an iconic
dead American confidante She's a time-travelling mute magician's assistant
trying to make a difference in a man's world. They fight crime!