Re: gnome-vfs usage of GConf vs threads

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:37:26AM -0500, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > If we instantiate a separate GConfClient and lock about its usage, will at
> > least the gconf part be threadsafe?
>
> Nah, I doubt it. Certainly you'd have to audit it to see.
>
> Could you just create a variable for the proxy, and keep it updated
> out of the main thread, and the http backend just reads the variable?
> (Locking the variable of course so you don't read a half-updated proxy
> string.)

I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean adding stuff to the glib
mainloop that sets the variable? I'm not sure a vfs module can rely on the
glib mainloop being availible like that. Non-mainloop based apps may use
gnome-vfs.

He's a genetically engineered Republican shaman possessed of the uncanny
powers of an insect. She's a violent motormouth wrestler descended from a line
of powerful witches. They fight crime!