volume control applet disappeared

Hi!

I have installed gentoo Linux and gnome 2.12.1.
Since the soundcard was not configured during installation I always got
an error from the mixer (volume) applet.
Unfortunately I did not write the message down, but it was a message
displaying the (corba?) name of the volume applet.

So now I installed alsa etc. and sound is working fine. I now wanted to
add the volume applet back to the panel but in the "Add to panel" window
I can't fine the volume applet anymore! It just disappeared, on my other
gentoo box I still have the icon for this applet.

Any ideas why this happened?

thanks a lot, Fabian