Re: Making gfloppy a general-purpose media formatter

Hi Christopher,

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 14:58 -0500, Christopher Santero wrote:
> I came across bug 309067 [1] and thought that this is a great idea.
> I'm not sure about the hard drive part of it, as there are already
> quite capable tools for formatting those, but having the ability to
> format removable media in GNOME would be A Good Thing.
>
> I've looked at the source a bit, and it seems that adding support to
> gfloppy for this feature would require rewriting a good chunk of
> gfloppy. It would probably be worthwhile overhauling the program to
> use GObjects, and making it easy to add support for new types of media
> and filesystems. (maybe even plugins?)
>
> Anyway I'd just like feedback on whether you think it'd be worthwhile
> for me to attempt this.

As I just did this to gnome-dictionary, my personal gut feeling is:

			DO IT!!!

Maintainers will pat you on the back, users will love you, women will
throw their bras on stage, news agencies around the world will stage
press conferences with you explaining what you did...

Ehr...

Well, something like that.

+++

Seriously, gfloppy might use a good overhauling.  I've been monitoring
bug #309067 as it seems a really good GNOME Love project: the code base
is compact and defined, and with the advent of removable media storage
like USB sticks/pens/whatever, we could make it useful again.

So, go on and spread the love! :-)

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--