Re: GNOME Lovers Needed: l10n work for locations database

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 07:17:53AM -0500, David Lodge wrote:
> Quoting Danilo Å egan <danilo gnome org>:
> > > I don't think we have a policy of using American English in the msgid.
> > > We discussed this before, and I proposed to have a more thorough
> > > discussion at the Guadec meeting in Krisiansand, but there was no
> > > meeting on this in Kristiansand. Maybe next time. My suggestion is that
> > > we continue to use English English, as it is more used around the world.
> > > and needs less modifications when going from one version of English to
> > > another.
> > So, it is recommended for at least documentation.
> >
> > OTOH, we already have all the code in U.S. English, and we have en_GB
> > team (and no en_US team).
> >
> > Switching now to British English is going to cause many problems for
> > other translators as well.
>
> I fully agree with Danilo - even though I don't like American English (being
> British ;-) - I realise that the majority of GNOME developers and users either
> speak or have been taught American English. With my own correspondance with
> NNES I have noted that, for Europe at least, American spelling and grammar is
> taught in preference to British and with the homogenity of American documents
> this is probably the safer option.

I believe you are wrong in your observation that US English is taught in
European schools, my experience is that it is British English that is
taught in European and Asian schools.

But anyway, I am not so active any longer in Gnome, and I probably
simply should just shut up wrt. Gnome language politics.

Best regards
keld