Re: exported symbols in theme engines

Matthias Clasen wrote:
There have been some problems recently with
carelessly exported symbols from some theme engines
leading to symbol resolution errors in some apps (see
bug 326249).

In order to help with cleaning this up, I have written a little
script to check that a theme engine only exports the expected
functions. You can find it in GTK+ HEAD, called
gtk-engine-check-abi.sh.

As a good citizen, I started by making the pixbuf engine
pass this test...

Do you plan to apply this to the 2.8 branch too?

Ben and I have gone through all the engines in gtk-engines making sure they pass the test. Expect a new release of gtk-engines very soon (before GNOME 2.14).

However, I'm not entirely clear whether this will solve the problem with the library trying to call a function within the application. Most internal functions in gtk-engines (that aren't static) are now prefixed, so this reduces the chances of the problem occurring. However, according to bug 326249, engines should be loaded with RTLD_NOW to be sure this doesn't happen.

-Thomas