Re: SVG icons for HighContrast theme

Il giorno lun, 17/10/2005 alle 13.09 +0100, Thomas Wood ha scritto:
> I was planning to send out an e-mail very similar to this one, but you
> seem to have beaten me to it! We need to make sure we can get as many
> people involved with this discussion, so please make sure you let as many
> people know about it as possible.

Added in CC, hoping they will join us on theme list: Rodney Dawes,
Andreas Nilsson. Any other ?

> > 2. Theme specs
> >
> >         Currently gnome-themes still provides icons in gtkrc format. GTK
> > + supports icon themes. Major GNOME apps too. We can and we
> > should use it. Why? well, as above, it's simpler then edit gtkrc
> > file. Just place the image in the proper directory with the
> > proper name. Moreover it's a fd.o standard. Moreover icon theme
> > and control theme should be separated IMHO.
>

> This should definitely be fixed. If it's not already filed in bugzilla, it
> should be. I'll get to work on it once we've got a bug report open.

Well, we need to port apps and libs to icon theme spec before :-)

      * libgnomeui stock icons - bug #319475
      * mini-commander icons - bug #319476
      * metacity/libwnkc - see my post on desktop-devel-list, no bug
        still open, but Havoc reply could be useful.
      * capplets ??
      * some custom nautilus icons (stretch knob - see #157271,
        BG&Emblems dialog...)

> >         BTW: what about recent icon-theme-naming specs?? Is better use
> > it immediately or respect it later?
>

> This is another issue I was going to raise. Probably best to get Rodney
> Dawes' opinion on this too, but I think it's definitely something we need
> to move towards.

Rodney wrote icon-name-mapping tool in icon naming utils; could be
really useful to create replied icons.

Unfortunately by now this tool can read only the XML file in ${prefix}
to know source and destination names. It could be useful add a "--custom
<xmlfile>" option to invoke it using a custom XML file place in
compilation dirs.

Moreover this tool can't use, in exaple, gtk-network.EXT file to create
gnome-fs-network.EXT, because those icons are under different contexts
(Actions for gtk-network, FileSystems for gnome-dev-network), i.e. under
different directories. :-(

Rodney, do you think you can extend it? My blue sky is provide icons
using fd.o naming spec, run "icon-name-mapping --legacy" to create
default links, and run "icon-name-mapping --custom ./<xmlfile>" to
create custom links, if any (in example to use the same icon for charmap
application and charpalette applet or to provide icons not defined in
fd.o standard), providing names in a custom XML file.

>  Again, we ought to open a tracker bug for all the icon
> themes in gnome-themes.

And gnome-icon-theme too.

> <snip>
>
> >               * provide an utility (perl? python?) to automatically
> >                 produce HighContrastInverse SVG icons from HighContrast
> > SVG icons simply swapping #000000 and #ffffff (or maybe
> > CSS???)
>
> Could be possible, and built into the gnome-themes build procedure. Again,
> open a bug report in bugzilla to track this.

I'll do.

> >               * dump out LowContrast icon theme: IMHO is better try to
> >                 reduce the contrast through the theme engine: is it
> > possible?
>
> I'm pretty sure that is possible,

Something like the grayed (aka disabled) widgets? This will prevent us
to provide and install LowContrast icons. Cool and neat.

> although I don't know which engine the
> Low Contrast theme is using.

The GTK+ default, just change colors.

> >               * refresh the directory tree [3]
> >

> Interesting idea, but unfortunately will be a lot of work (re-doing
> configure scripts and makefiles), and also will mean that the CVS module
> becomes even more messy. It's not possible to completely delete
> directories from CVS. You have to use the prune command when checking out
> to remove empty directories.  I don't really see much benefit in
> re-organising the gnome-themes structure as it's actually laid out quite
> logically at the moment anyway.

I'm usual to dump out stuff that I can't fix.... Yeah, girlfriends too.

Meanwhile, I added new icons and simplified others (less shapes, same
border ratio). Build up a HighContrast icon theme is really really
simple in vector graphic: I was able to draw the accessibility icon in
less then 5 minutes :-)