"dome" theme for metacity

Each time I do a major upgrade (FC4 in this case) I find that support
for the "dome" themes that I find so satisfying grows smaller and
smaller.  First it was the demise of Sawfish (where I used smalldome
and moondome themes) and then xfce upgraded losing the b5 theme in the
process so that today I have no readily available "dome" themes
available.  Woe is me. :-) But this is an itch that must be scratched.
So I am going to bite the bullet and create a metacity theme with a
"dome" feature, a titlebar/window controls decoration that uses only
as much real estate as is absolutely necessary.  I would also like to
add the ability to place the control on the frame, perhaps left, right
or centered.  The question I have for this list is first and foremost,
whether this kind of theme is even possible with metacity.  If so,
I'll take any pointers that someone might care to offer up before I
plunge in and start hacking.

Thanks,

-pmr