Re: GNOME Theme Package Proposal

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 04:21 +1000, Francis James Whittle wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 19:03 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> > I avoided .theme because it is already used by the icon theme
> > specification (in index.theme) and the existing GNOME theme descriptor
> > (also index.theme). So do you have any suggestions?
>
> At risk of inciting the wrath of anti-three-letter (ATL ;·) people,
> maybe .themepkg?

Sounds good, I can't think of any immediate objections to that.

> > Interesting idea, but this way you may end up with a lot of unnecessary
> > symlinks or duplicate files. You would usually want the same themes to
> > be used across different desktops. For example, even in KDE, you would
> > want GTK applications to use your GTK theme so that your theme has a
> > consistent look.
>
> Theoretically it should be possible to just have a tarball of what would
> go in the .themes directory, no?  I thought that was one of the
> points.... Possibly icon themes mess with that though (Am I right, are
> they renegade and go in ~/.icons instead?  If so, anyone know why that
> is?)

Icon theme directories go in ~/.icons because the icon theme
specification on freedesktop.org says that's where they should go. Which
is why I created a separate directory for the icon theme to go in - so
it was easier to sort out which directories should go in ~/.icons.

But, yes, the rest should be able to go in the theme directory in
~/.themes. Which makes implementation easier, and is also easier to add
support for other types of themes in the future.