Re: GNOME Theme Package Proposal

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 22:18 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> A New File Format

What new file format? This is mainly a directory layout proposal, and is
basically the same as the one I sent a couple years ago to
freedesktop.org that just got ignored. (yay!)

> `````````````````
> The directory structure should look something like this:
>
> .
> |-- background/
> `-- splash/

There's no reason for these to be in sub-directories. The splash screen
really should be part of the icon theme anyway, I think.  At least, that
is if we don't just get rid of it entirely, since the main thing it does
is draw the icons on top of it, they should really match always.

> |-- icon/

This should be "icons" I hope.

> This should then be wrapped up in a gzipped tarball and given the
> extension
> .gtp (Gnome-Theme-Package).

Whatever. I still think that we should just rely on the system packaging
systems to do this properly. Implementing dependencies for theme engines
and all that is not something that make a lot of sense for us to do,
since we already have things that handle dependencies.

> Extensions to gnome-theme-manager
> gnome-theme-manager currently handles GTK, Metacity and Icon themes,
> but could
> be extended to handle splash screens and backgrounds (possible
> integration with
> current background chooser?).

I don't know what you mean here, but the implication scares me.

-- dobey