Window manager "Metacity" has not registered a configuration tool

I've spent many an hour trying to figure this out and I'm at wits end.  When
trying to modify my window border as a non-root user via Preference->Theme
GUI configuration tool, I get the message listed in the subject line.  I can
manually change the window border using gconf, and GUI tool works fine as
root, but I'd like to register a config tool for Metacity so it works
correctly.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks!
--
Eric J