Re: [REPLACE] gnome-panel icon

I agree that the arrow should match the gtk theme, however I do _not_
think it should be theme-able via stock icons or the icon theme.

Wherever the arrow is currently drawn by the gtk theme engine, then if
some of the arrows were theme-able via stock icons, it would break
consistency, as whenever an app called to gtk paint_arrow you would be
getting the engines arrow, and whenever an app used the stock arrow
icons you would get a different one.

If the arrows in gtk code were changed to use 4 gtk stock icons, this
would break many gtk themes where the icon is specially customized to
fit the look, especially in the situation where the arrow is not of a
normal size or position, I cannot see an easy way to prevent bad scaling
etc, unless you plan on providing said arrow at multiple sizes(7x7, 9x9,
14x14).

I do not see anyway we can sanely do this without breaking or limiting
the abilities of gtk themes, and not just in the sense of the arrow
itself, because since the steppers on scrollbars etc use different
sizes, to ensure a sane arrow size would mean preventing the scrollbars
and stepper size from being changed by the widget theme. The same holds
true for OptionMenus's and spinbuttons, and since spinbuttons are
actually determined by the font size, this means adding even more
brokenness unless you plan on providing ultra small arrow icons for
small fonts (2x4 etc).

and so on and so on...

To summarize and reiterate :) - the arrow should not be theme-able, but
should always match the gtk theme.

Andrew