Re: best gnome globe icon ever

I have one gripe with that globe (in fact just about any globe that is drawn in a circle).

It's like this: Whenever anyone wants to draw a symbol of 'the whole world' they think "hey let's draw a globe in a circle" and then go about it, invariably including only a half of the world in there (in fact about 5 sixths is more normal - and this one is not an exception - because people rarely get the perspective correct. The Atlantic Ocean is not that big. Nor is America, Europe, or Africa.) The point is it's always the part of the globe that includes *their* part and maybe America (Actually I must congratulate free software artists who live in America because I haven't yet seen any free software art globes with just America in them but that's what normally happens elsewhere). I have no idea how Australians get that idea because in contrast to the Atlantic, the Pacific Ocean *is* that big. Getting to the point know, I think it's fair to say that we should try harder to use something that includes the *whole* world instead of just someone's favourite hemisphere. The are various ways of acheiving this - transparency is an arty one (although the light tricks that make it appear as either side is on top aren't really usable in compliance with HIG - or even in something that small), also those mappings that have the whole world flattened into a sort of ellipse (They have a name but I can't recall it). Or we could pretend that we're members of the flat earth society and have a disk instead, but I don't think that would be very popular.

Just some thoughts.

Francis