Re: Status on improving the icon theme

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 06:35, Mark Finlay wrote:
> Hey everyone,

Hullo,

> I've been talking to Luca and Jimmac about this for the last few
> days. ATM Luca is concentrating on:
>      1. nautilus emblems
>      2. Application and Action menu
>      3. Preferences (gnome-control-center) icon
>      4. Default apps at 32x32 (-> I hope we can switch Application
> 	menu to this size by default
>      5. other icons...
>
> As well as that I have a strong interest in the desktop and nautilus
> so my list is:
> 1. Home icon that isn't a picture of a house
> 2. Better trash icon
> 3. Better icons for mounted filesystems/devices (like cameras and
> 	partitions)
> 4. Imporoved Folder icons.

I would just like to throw out a comment about one of my icon pet
peeves, please dont take this as harsh critisism.. i love the art work
of the gnome project, its not only better than anything else out there,
its also beautiful in its own right.

But one thing that I find that detracts from an otherwise good icon is
an improper amount of space on either side of the icon, it seems that
some artists puts their own unique amount of white space around icons
and when icons from different artist's are lined up side by side on the
panel they are quite clearly bunched together in places, and spread out
at others, the result is that I have to manually position them so that
each has a similar amount of blank space between it and the next icon.

I know that we go by standard icon sizes such as 24x24 or 32x32, so the
problem just seems to be either that certain people are not centering
the icon within the alloted space or that some icons pictures are just
naturally fatter than others. Is there anyway we could set a width
requirement for the actual icon picture itself and require that icons at
least match that width, and that they also be centered within the 32x32
space?

Perhaps even better would be a "width range" so that as long as the icon
picture falls within a certain minimum parameter, but doesn't exceed the
maximum parameter, and is also centered, that it would be acceptable.

I have included two screen shots
The first one shows how icons on the panel seem to be spread at places
and bunched in others, even though I have moved them as close to each
other as possible.
https://division22.merseine.nu/before.jpeg

The second shot shows just how far apart I have to move the icons so
that they look approximately centered with each other
https://division22.merseine.nu/after.jpeg

Alex Combas

--
Deck of Cards: $1.29. Card Table: $14.99. "101 Solitaire Variations"
book: $6.59. Finding a cheaper replacement for the one thing Windows is